Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Cruise

So we're finally reaching the best part of Spring. The sun is shining, the temperature is in the high 70s/low 80s and, unfortunately, my allergies are out of control. But as long as the pharmacy can supply me, I can enjoy it. So since my first year in Korea is ending, I decided to experience something I'd been thinking about since my arrival.



If you've followed my blog, you'll recall that my first experience with the Hangang River came with a spin in the duck boats with Cynthia. Back then, she and I talked about going on a river cruise. There are many cruises that take you along the river and showing you the skyscrapers all lit up, and sometimes there are shows on the boats. A young girl in front of us tried to convince her mother to take the cruise with the magic show. She failed to do so.



The cruise itself lasts for about an hour. We chose to ride around the time the sun began to set, so the sky made subtle changes in color above the water until it was dark. Then the boat lit up itself.



I was unaware of the main show that was to come. Once we reached a certain part of the river, all the boats stopped to view a fountain/light show off of one of the bridges. A line of lights, shining in all colors, lit streams of water spraying off the side of the bridge in a stunning show.



The most amusing part of this fountain show was when the boat went past the bridge. Now any sensible person would realize that as the boat nears the water showering onto the deck anything in the vicinity will get wet. With that reasoning, my friend and I went outside. Other people remained outside and were shocked when they got wet. What did they not understand?



Because there were so many people on the boat, it's difficult to find a place to sit. And there was a woman providing the entertainment for the spectators inside. She had an acoustic guitar but played music off of a laptop. I feel like she didn't need both of those things. But her singing was great, so I'll let her slide on that one. And toward the end of the cruise, we even found seats to enjoy her show.



Seeing the Hangang River from twilight to night and getting a light and fountain show was well worth the allergic reaction. Next time, I gotta check out that magic show cruise.

1 comment: