Friday, October 29, 2010

Happy Birthday 대돈

A major part of life is getting older. And even though most people see birthdays as an incentive to drink more than usual, you can still celebrate in a relaxed and comfortable way. So, today is my boy Dae Don's birthday.



In certain situations, he might go by his American name (John), but in Korea, Dae Don Choi is like fam. In Korean, he's my 형 (hyung) or big brother, but only because he's older than me. He looked out for me when I first arrived. It's always convenient to have a Korean-American, who is fluent in both languages, living across the street from you. So I've gotten really close to Dae Don, and his fiance' Soo, since I've been here.



After work, the three of us went out to dinner and had some drinks. Soo bought a birthday cake and we even invited some of the friendly patrons and workers in the restaurant to sing Happy Birthday (in Korean) along with us. Other than that, it was pretty much dinner as usual (except we had pig intestines for dinner; chitlins?)



I also have to say a quick word for my blood brother DeMarcus, whose birthday was a couple weeks ago, and let the kid know I love him. But this is for my Korean brother Dae Don, cuz I love that kid too...and of course Soo, haha.

Happy Halloween y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Dae Don rocks! He agreed to get up early (at least for me) and go to the national Korean insurance office for, like, 2 hours to help me with obtaining health insurance in Korea. It ended up not being worth my time, i.e., buying national insurance. However, I was so grateful to Dae Don. He's the man. I hope his b-day is great, and you're damned lucky you gotta spend it with him. On that note, I let the kids out 30 seconds early this evening - read 30 SECONDS, so I don't get, uh, written up - so that a bunch o' my girls, who have major crushes on Dae Don, could run down to the 2nd floor and give him b-day presents. I think Dae Don's name comes up at least once each class, if not more. But there's a reason for that. It's not because he's cute, which is he, but because he's cool and kind and great.

    ReplyDelete