Monday, June 7, 2010

Is That A Didgeridoo???

So there's this hookah lounge in Gangnam called Rainbow. It's a really cool and mellow environment. If you ever walked inside, you'd think they were selling all kinds of illegal narcotics to straight stoners. There's pictures of Bob Marley and Jimmy Hendrix, florescent mushrooms, and there's this mural on the side that's a bit creepy but has this Alice in Wonderland/Donnie Darko vibe.



It's a nice spot to go and just chill. During my first week in Korea, when we were still in training, a bunch of us felt like lettin off some steam to relieve the stress before our final day of testing and presenting. So we slipped out of the hotel and headed down to Rainbow for some wild mint. The way it's set up is that you sit on cushions across the floor around the hookah. It's a really comfortable setup if you get in the right spot, and we were all feelin a bit lighter.





But the coolest thing about Rainbow has to be the music. Every night they have a different genre of music playing and it really adds to the vibe. The first night I went, there was a DJ playing electronic/nu-jazz. That was when I knew it'd be a cool spot to frequent. The next time I went they played all smooth jazz and I could've sat in there forever. But this night in particular was the best music-wise.

So this guy comes up to the front and sets up a microphone. Apparently, that night was Live Music Night at Rainbow, and he was the main attraction. It started off smooth enough when the dude pulled out a small harp-like instrument and played a couple of songs.



We all thought that was cool, but he blew us away with what he did next.

So I don't know where he pulled it out from, or how he even came into possession or instruction of it, but the guy starts playing a didgeridoo! For those of you who don't know what a didgeridoo is, it's this long Australian pipe instrument that you make sounds into. Think of it like a giant kazoo. It was even better when another guy walks over and picks up a conga drum and accompanies the guy on the didgeridoo. It was quite the performance.



Korea is a pretty interesting place and you see some pretty interesting stuff, but I never expected to see anything like that. I'd love to post a video of dude playin the didgeridoo, but my internet is crappy and it'd take all night to post. Definitely a good night out though, and a cool story to tell. Shout out to my CDI fam for gettin thru training and hopefully succeeding as English instructors all over Korea. Makes me all warm inside just thinkin about it.



Oh, and just to update you all. I made it thru my first week of teaching, moved into my apartment, and celebrated a couple of birthdays this past weekend. It's been a ridiculous week, but I'm diggin it. Look out for my next post.

Stay up

2 comments:

  1. WOW @ the digeridoo! LOL!

    Sounds like a chill time. And I see a new profile pic in this post as well. Dope color contrast.

    Glad you made it through Mr. Baber

    ReplyDelete