Friday, May 21, 2010

Clear The Runway, Baby!

Originally, I intended to make a post before I left, and then a post once I got here. But I couldn't use the wireless in Detroit or LA's airports, so WELCOME TO SEOUL!!!

Let me take you through everything.

Yesterday, I was all over the place, making sure I tied up every loose end before leaving to the airport. Got a haircut, made some last minute visits, even bought some sleep-aids for the plane. So I said my goodbyes and "I love you"s to my parents and went off on my own. One of the biggest things I'd been worrying about this week was my luggage being overweight. You're allowed two bags, but they both have to be under 50 lbs. Otherwise you get a $120 fee. Funny story, my big suitcase weighed 49 lbs. So getting in and out of Detroit was easy.

After a bearable 5 hour flight from Detroit, I had a layover in LA. The only thing that bothered me there was that the Korean Air terminal was in the next building, so I had to walk all the way over there and stand in line forever to get through security. But all things considered, everything went fine. But the best part of the whole trip, had to be flying with Korean Air.

Last time I took an overseas flight, I was a baby so I don't remember it. And the longest flight I've been on since then was that 5 hour flight to LA, so I thought taking this 13 hour flight Seoul was gonna be awful. But flying Korean Air is great. First, they had these TV screens in the seats so you could watch whatever movie or TV show or even listen to music on your own.



I watched The Book of Eli, an episode of Friends, and listened to some classical music. So I was entertained the majority of the flight. I've also never had airline food, and all I know about it is Seinfeld jokes. But Jerry Seinfeld has never eaten on Korean Air. We had two meals. For dinner we had bibimbap, and if you know me, you know that bibimbap is my FAVORITE Korean dish. There was also kimchi, seaweed soup and a glass of wine. I was so excited that I was halfway through eating before I thought to take a picture.



After that I took a nap. I have no idea how long I slept because I couldn't keep up with the changes in time. But soon after, we had breakfast and that was pretty good too. We had scrambled eggs, ham, potatoes, yogurt, a muffin, and some fruit. I was pretty well fed after that flight, and I barely paid attention to how much time we spent in the air.



So after all of that, I hopped off the plane. converted some US currency to Korean, then took a bus and a taxi to my hotel. Right now I'm in Gangnam which is a business district so there's a lot of big buildings and businesses all over. This is what one of the bedrooms looks like in the hotel room.



There's nothing really exciting to tell yet, but I'm sure I'll have plenty to tell in due time. I get to chill this weekend, but we start training on Monday, and from what they tell me, it's gonna be INTENSE. Pray for me.

Peace

4 comments:

  1. Man you forgot the best part about your layover...that short convo w/ me. Oh and I'm mad you dipped before I got to tell you how your girl was trippin. But thats whats up, seems like you enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I was in Gangnam last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice! post pics on some social site... lol glad you made it there safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I didn't know you had a blog! Yours is WAY more interesting than mine, since mine mostly contains text and hardly any pictures. I'll try and take your technique. btw how are things going in Ilsan?

    ReplyDelete